Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Elizabeth General Medical Center

The roots of this historic New Jersey health care complex go back to 1877, when the "Elizabeth General Hospital and Dispensary" was formed. The need for healthcare in the growing city was paramount, and just two short years later the hospital was officially incorporated. In 1880, several local doctors aquired property on Jaques Street, and with that the hospital was ready to tackle the growing needs of the population. The original complex consisted of a small home like building with a detached surgical pavilion and laundry building. As the years began to pass, public support for a larger building was growing. Massive fundraising efforts were launched, and eventually the necessary capitol was raised. Those involved with donating and raising the funds were given a mention in the newspaper at the time. In 1894, the hospital complex moved to the corner of E. Jersey and Reid Streets. The new building was much larger, featuring more office  and care space, and a new wing dubbed the Blake Memorial Hospital for Women. There were also two separate pavilions for patients dubbed contagious.

Source

The hospital formed what was called "The Daisy Ward". It was the area in the hospital children were relegated to. One important player in the formation of the ward was Eliza Grace Halsey. She was an advocate for the ward, donating money and time to try and spread the word. One surviving example of Miss Halsey's efforts is a letter published in a local paper. She spoke to the children of Elizabeth, asking them to donate their pocket change to the new ward, rather than spending it on candy and toys for themselves. She was ultimately successful in her efforts, and the collective was able to make the ward a reality.


The hospital continued to expand into the 1900's. Large brick buildings replaced the humble shingle style structures. The new buildings were still quite elegant, boasting ornamental limestone detailing like this band that ran below the roofline. 


In the late 50's or early 60's The largest wing to be added to the the hospital site was the maternity ward. The yellow brick wing stood in stark contrast to the aestetically pleasing brick structures. Another small wing was added in 1966, bringing the total building size to 350,000 square feet. The new complex occupied almost the entire block and towered over it. The campus was even visible from the New Jersey Turnpike. 


Despite the long and storied history of the hospital, EGMC merged with St Elizabeth's to form the Trinitas Medical Group in 2000. Hospital operations were moved to the former St Elizabeth's campus. After a few years of remaining partially open, the Elizabeth General Medical Center was officially shuttered.


The complex stood vacant until 2012, when a partial demolition occurred. The power plant and an attached section of the building were removed, leaving a large gap in the lot between the hospital and parking garage. The vacant and overgrown hospital campus became a magnet for crime, and with that came a push to finish the demolition that was stalled for years. In 2017, demolition resumed on the campus. The beautiful brick buildings were abated and emptied, and by the end of the year there was almost nothing left of the once important campus. 


I didn't make my way inside the old hospital complex until the second spate of demolition was well underway. As I parked my car, I looked around the neighborhood at all the people going about their business. Knowing I wasn't going to have another chance, I threw on my high-vis construction vest and hard hat and headed on in. The stories i'd heard about criminal activity around the abandoned hospital kept me on my toes as I walked alone through the barren halls. Thankfully nobody followed me in, or found me inside, and I was able to get my own little tour in before the final walls came down.


Now the Elizabeth General Medical Center is no more. The complex was built through the efforts of the community, saw thousands and thousands of patients cared for, and scores of nurses trained. However, just like many other historic hospitals in New Jersey, it's been demolished in an unceremonious fashion and is on the path to being completely forgotten.


49 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was born there January 22 1986 now my birth place is no More Jesus I Love You For Historical Hospital You Bought Me In This World To ❤πŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎ

      Delete
    2. Me too good times and a Great place to work

      Delete
    3. This hospital will NEVER be forgotten! The best place to work. It was a family. I met my husband now of 30 years there

      Delete
    4. I was born there also, my birthplace is now a historical landmark.

      Delete
  2. thank you for chronicling this. I have a couple of old post cards of different views over some years from the early 1900's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes my birth place is gone to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish i can find pictures of this hospital when it was in good standing as im trying to put together a really nice before and after video. I was born in this hospital 7/17/1980 ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pictures of the operating room 1960 when I was a child having my hand operating end of the Elizabeth emergency Squad volunteers my father was one

      Please call me 908-423-9777 I have some incredible stories you probably like to hear

      Delete
  5. I was born in this hospital, 04/13/62. Now, it is just a memory - how sad!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That hospital was still open in 2001 my dad died there Jan, 5, 2001.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had surgery there as a baby & until 3& 1/2 years old. When 13 years old became a Candy Striper there. At 17 years old went to LPN training there and had friend in nurse training at EGH. This started in Sept 1965. My 1st job in the new building on 1East, where they took care of complicated patients. No ICUs yet then. Worked there many years, and through college at Seton Hall U. Many fond memories of friends and patients. Many people now gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to nursing school here

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. born 1/14/1951 in the eliz general. went by the other year and it was empty and abandoned. planned to go back to chronicle but sadly didnt. Thank you for saving whats left of the memories in your archive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you get any pictures of the psych unit, 1 north? I have horrible memories of that place. I went in there with severe depression & anxiety (they never even noticed the anxiety) and left with depression, anxiety & PTSD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I delivered x-ray reports to all the units including 1 North back in 1984. It was a locked unit in and out--and dreaded the sexual harrassment by the person who carried the keys for the door (I was just 20 years old at that time) So sorry to read your unfortunate comment.

      Delete
  11. I was born in Elizabeth General 8/12/71,,_Im glad I got to see the archives

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh why should this be happing
    Noooooo

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband and I are drivers now , went by there yesterday! I was born there 01-03 -1953
    My sister was born there 03-10 -1951

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was born there 12 - 25 1951

      Delete
  14. my birthplace is gone :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too.... I'll always be an Elizabeth n

      Delete
  15. Was born here 11/01/69 almost died here at age 4 it is a sad shame all the historical places are being destroyed and history is being forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Volunteered as a candy stripper when I was 13. When I was 16 they trained me as a “junior nurses aide” earning $1.15 an hour. Worked every weekend, Holidays and full time summers all through college and for a little while after. It was a great job and inspired me to become a PA. Retired now

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think my brother was born (and died there a month later from spina bifida) in June/July 1932. My mother always spoke about how caring the nurses were.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two of my daughter's were born there. One in August 1977 and the other in July 1980.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was born there in 1947 and my brother in 1948. In 1963 I was a Candy Striper. My children were also born there in 1965, 1968 and 1970

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was born at EGH in 1956. I volunteered there as a Candy Striper in 1970, I loved it and have beautiful memories. πŸ’•

      Delete
  20. Though, I live in another state, I still love and treasure my memories of living and growing up in Elizabeth, NJ. All of us have moved on and gone our separate ways. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was born at Elizabeth General on 11/25/52. My maternal grandmother was an LPN in the newborn nursery there for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My younger brother was born on 3/21/91 in that very hospital and I personally stayed there for three weeks in 1999.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing this. My Gr Grandfather was cared for here in 1911. I have searched for years for traces of him.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I exactly got what you mean, thanks for posting. And, I am too much happy to find this website on the world of Google. https://www.abi-med.com/news/2

    ReplyDelete
  25. Used to work there in the ER as an EMT 1986-1987. To bad there are no pictures of the ER.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was born there in August 1962, I wish I know it was going to be demo 😒 I would have visit to take some pictures because I moved in 1992.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I’m pretty sure with a name like “spicyboi99”, the hospital probably had a bit of help in “fucking up” what I’m sure is your fabulous birth name.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Was born there like so many others. Proud to be born at Elizabeth general hospital. Dob 2/19/60.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Is there any information on Miss Quinn's Maternity Hospital~~I was born there on 10/21/1945~~??

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was born there in July 1929.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I went to Xray school there. One of the best trauma room training ever. I am now 27 years into my Radiology career. I had some great instructors there.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow I never realized how big it really was, I was born there on November 19 1987... What a loss to us all...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Went to nursing school at EGH in a he 60s. We had a nurse’s dorm and attended Union College for two semesters. Great preparation for a long nursing career. Remembered the ER and OR experience especially. Miss Fries was the nursing director

    ReplyDelete
  34. My middlest daughter was born there in 1967. Dr. Paul J. Kreutz was head of obstetrics, my husband's uncle and my doctor. My husband and I had no girl's name picked out since we were sure this one was a boy. After 3 days, Dr. Kreutz came into my room with his hands on his hips exclaiming "After all we've done to bring this child into the world, the least you can do is give her a NAME!"

    ReplyDelete