Thursday, December 15, 2016

The Arthur Brisbane Child Treatment Center

The history of the Arthur Brisbane Child Treatment Center in Farmingdale, NJ goes back to the early 1900's. Mr. Brisbane was a well respected newspaper editor and journalist. Born in Buffalo, New York, he spent his entire career digging up stories and telling them through various well known outlets. In 1907, he purchased the deserted land that was once the Howell Ironworks to build his new dream home.

Source
 He also built a tuberculosis hospital for children known as the "Howell Preventorium" In the 1920's, after construction on his home was finished, Mr. Brisbane began restoring the old ironworks which dated back to the 1800's. Upon his passing in 1936 the land was again disused, but in 1944 it was donated to the state of New Jersey and it became Allaire State Park


Though it was originally meant to house U.S. military veterans, the Brisbane mansion would instead undergo renovations to become a psychiatric hospital. In 1946, the children's unit of nearby Marlboro State Hospital moved to the facility which operated as a satellite campus. However. Just one year later, the Arthur Brisbane Child Treatment Center became it's own separate entity. The new hospital was the first in the state specializing in the treatment of children with psychiatric issues.


The hospital origianlly operated mainly out of the mansion, but a large new school building was built in 1972. Not much else had been reported of the hospitals early history, but by the 1980's the state of adolescent psychiatric care in New Jersey was the subject of severe turmoil. In 1986, the Slocum V. Perselay litigation was filed, alleging the death of a minor at the Trenton facility stemmed from a culture of over-drugging and physical abuse rampant at developmental centers and psychiatric hospitals across the state. These patients, mostly children under the age of 18, were warehoused inside understaffed and overcrowded buildings. They were rarely allowed adequate time to recreate in fresh air, which only served to agitate the underlying conditions which brought them to treatment centers in the first place. The "State Plan for the Establishment of Regional Psychiatric Programs for Seriously Mentally Ill Children and Adolescents" designated the Brisbane Center as overflow for other nearby children's psych hospitals in 1987. The Brisbane Center now treated children ages 11 to 17 with "acute" psychiatric disorders. By 1988, the adolescent Unit at Trenton State Hospital closes, due to Slocum V. Perselay litigation.


In 1989, the Brisbane Center underwent a mandated evaluation. The results were depressing. Staff were observed intimidating patients on several occasions. Several children suffered injuries due to improperly implemented and outdated restraint devices and methods. The admissions ward, meant to hold 40 children, held roughly 80 in outdated conditions. There was no infirmary on the campus, only dormitories and a school. Patients were not separated based on the severity of their disorders, which led to a grim environment for those with mild disabilities. The separation of patients was not just a recommendation. It was a court order that was being blatantly ignored. Because of this, several violent altercations between patients were recorded. The overall consensus was that Brisbane should be closed like the unit in Trenton.


The formal recommendation to close the Brisbane Center came in 1990 by Dr. Robert M. Friedman. In addition to the list of complaints observed during the prior years evaluation, he described the hospital as not having an adequate layout for either a hospital or a group home type setting. He noted the state children's hospital system as being "over centralized and fragmented". He also pointed out that the conditions required to be met for admission were much more expensive to treat in home like settings, so the only option was to dump them in the terribly overcrowded hospitals. This contributed to many of the problems the hospitals were facing. The state admitted the issues with the facility and began their own management team for Brisbane..


A follow up investigation of the Brisbane Center in 1991 showed several areas of improvement. It seemed that the cries of advocates had not fallen on deaf ears. However, there were still several persistent problems as well. Brisbane was still responsible for both short term and long term care, on a campus that could barely support either properly. The hospital was still operating without a specific goal or mission. This contributed significantly to the mismanagement of the hospital.


The hospital was once again under fire in 1997, when an exit sign broke and leaked radioactive Tritium into a portion of the main building. The staff did not dispose of the sign properly, but rather threw it away with the regular medical waste, This was done intentionally despite frequent warnings from several veteran staff members. The director claimed that they were over budget on contamination cleanup and couldn't afford the proper disposal.


The rampant abuse projected on the patients at the hospital came to a head in the first few days of 1998, when a patient named Kelly Young was killed after being physically restrained by a staff member of the hospital. After making a phone call to a family member, Kelly became visibly upset. Nobody knows what was said on that phone call, but we do know this was the last time the family ever spoke to Kelly. After being denied another call, Kelly was even more upset. The head nurse left the room to get Kelly some medicine for menstrual cramps, and one of the two social workers had left to get dinner. This meant the only person available to try and calm Kelly down was a male social worker that was much larger than the young girl. He ordered Kelly to sit down, but in her emotional frenzy she was hesitant to do so. Instead of following the proper protocol, which involved calling for help and administering several methods of non violent intervention, Youth Worker Nelson Williams grabbed Kelly and immediately attempted to put her in the controversial "Basket Hold". He forced her to the ground, then dragged her back to the chair where she was sitting. Due to his sloppy execution of the hold, Kelly wasn't calming down, but rather struggling for her life. The second social worker returned, and he immediately called for backup. Before they could get there, however, Youth Worker Stoll grabbed the young girls legs while Nelson Williams restrained her. By the time backup arrived, Kelly had already lost so much oxygen during the struggle she began to turn blue. She was put on life support at a nearby hospital but was taken off and pronounced dead on January 5th, 1998. The staff was heavily criticized for ignoring proper protocol, but none of them were ever forced to be accountable for the murder. They even went so far as to tell the family that Kelly "choked on an object". The only thing that came of the incident was that Nelson Williams was fired several months later.


The "Basket Hold" was the go-to technique for forcing patients into compliance at Brisbane. The technique was supposed to be reserved for instances where the patient was an immediate harm to themselves or others around them. It was a last resort method for when all other measures failed. However, just a few years earlier, the facility was instructed to stop using mechanical restraints on the patients. Since the ban on mechanical restraints took away the staffs easiest option for control, the next easiest was forced submission through the basket hold. The State Department of Youth and Family Services received an influx of abuse reports from the facility in the late 1990's. Almost every instance was the result of the psychical restraint procedure applied by the staff. Even more chilling, it was observed on several occasions that the outbursts that landed the children in the basket hold were actually provoked by several staff members. They would bully the children, and then punish them for being upset by it.


Following the murder of Kelly Young, several changes were forced upon the small hospital. A new method of psychical restraint was mandated, called the "Handle & Care" hold. Staff was no longer, for any reason, allowed to use the basket hold. The staff was also no longer allowed to be verbally aggressive toward the patients. Finally, the hospital promised to hire over a dozen new workers, both orderlies and psychiatrists. However, the reports of abuse never completely went away. A few months after the Young incident a patient had their arm broken while being transported in the "Handle & Care" hold.


It wouldn't be long before the extensive deinstitutionalization movement occurring across the country would hit home for the troubled facility. The decision to close the Brisbane Center came about in the summer of 2004. It was acknowledged that although the center filled a critical need for the state, the staff refused to adapt the new mandates designed to keep patients safe and that the closure was in their best interests.


The Brisbane Center officially closed in 2005. The fourty patients that the center was still serving went to developmental centers and private home environments in some cases. The complex sat empty, but used as storage for a number of years. However, in late 2015, a news article ran about important files being left in an unsecured building on the property. This was a common practice in many vacant hospital buildings on the east coast. The abandoned Sanatorium in Passaic County had an entire forensic lab left behind, which included physical evidence and photos of hundreds of crimes. This was eventually all just tossed in a dumpster when the building was demolished. The Overbrook and Greystone hospitals also had record vaults with documents dating back to the 1800's.


While Mr. Brisbane would probably feel great dismay towards the tragedy that enfolded on the property that was once his dream home, I can't help but feel that he wouldn't want these stories forgotten as they have been. He would want everybody to know about it. We can look back on the history of the Brisbane Center and use it to improve conditions at our current psychiatric hospitals and developmental centers so these types of incidents never repeat themselves.



41 comments:

  1. WooHoo banner day for me new postings!
    Sad story all too common in NJ where they seem to look for and find the worst of the worst of society to care for the least able to protect themselves.
    I was told once as a boy that this was on purpose to prevent them from abusing "normal" people by giving them victims no one cared about to abuse! Look up my postings in the Belleville Isolation Hospital on this site I posted a link to my story. It is mostly the fragments of memory that have returned as an adult since running in to a very similar bunch of scumbags where I live now out west.
    I hope those children can find justice and the peace that it can bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thanks for the contribution. I too hope those subjected to terrible conditions in institutions can find peace. Not just here, but all across the country. As you know it's not an isolated issue.

      Delete
    2. I have a friend that was a patient there and we would like to get in touch with the writter of this article and like to have more written about this place. Tell stories, let me know its not over till these sick people are put ro justice for what they did to these children.
      Andrea Sutherlund
      Armynice@aol.com

      Delete
  2. Would love to speak with the publisher of this article.
    I was a personal friend of the late Kelly Young..
    This is one of the best articles I've read regarding Brisbane..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much appreciate the kind words. As it stands this is probably the story I've most wanted to tell, as the incidents that occurred should never be forgotten. I actually wrote this article last year, but held off on posting it because I didn't want the building to get vandalized. It happened recently anyway though, so I figured it was time.

      Delete
    2. How can I get in touch with you?

      Delete
    3. Hi. I was a patient at ABCTC from 95-96. I was 15 years old I witnessed alot of physical as well as emotional abuse coming from the so called staff members as well as I was physically and emotional abused. Thinking back to when I went there till this day makes my stomach knot up. It was a horrible place. Most of the staff was very nasty towards us as patients. They would intentionally do things or say things to get us upset. I witnessed one girl who I was housed with get thrown down the stairs in A building. A few weeks later the same happened to me. I was upset so I went up to my room. Well you were not allowed up stairs during the day. So two staff members, Mr. Williams and Ms. Atkins came up stairs after me. I explained I was upset. But they insisted I go back down stairs. Do I began to walk towards the steps to go down. Well Mr Williams had my one are and Ms. Atkins had my other. Just as I was to go down the steps Mr.Williams gave me a shove and literally went flying down the steps. I began crying and they both accused me of throwing myself down the steps. I immediately went to the nurses station. I told her I wanted to call 911 and I can tell she knew what transpired but saw the fear in her eyes. But nothing ever became of that. This facility was absolutely a place of horror. And my heart goes out to all the children who suffered through this

      Delete
    4. Re: Cynthia Serrano, I am thinking "Class Action Lawsuit" And it be against the State of New Jersey!!! They allowed this to go on despite the vast number of complaints, physical injuries, and tragically even death. There should not be any statutes of limitations regarding this type of atrocity!!!

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Also, Cynthia, get a hold of me @ briandeanmp@gmail.com or on Facebook, maybe we can help each other finally put this behind us and or team up and seek some justice for not only us but for others as well. I can only imagine we are not the only ones going through this. I also worked for the Senate, so maybe they too can help out. Hope I can help put an end to the horrible way we all feel inside right now. You being a female it breaks my heart to know that you went through that too. It's one thing for a guy to go through this and stuck with the pain, but a woman??? It's it's a whole other story. I'm truly sorry Cynthia you went through this too. I got your back

      Delete
    7. My mom used to work there. So did my dad but he worked for human services police. And my mom was in the building hands on. I often wonder if she was apart of the abuse because I've heard so much of it. Always wanted to find someone and ask if they recall her.

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much for this article . It was well written. I was a there from 81-83. I was there only due to neglect and abuse at home. The things that I experienced and witnessed there was pure evil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me and some friends got into Brisbane and yes there are files stored in the main building. We all grabbed some and got out. Wont be going back due to some of the stuff written in the files. Place sounds terrible wasn;t aware how serious this was

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a patient at Brisbane as a child. Glad it's closed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey everyone..... What I have to say will shock many people. Especially who I am. But it's ok now, I am ready to tell and finally let go of this heavy and hurtful burden I have been secretly battling for just over 30 years now.... At age 10, I was a victim of neglectful parents. Instead of getting me the help I desperately needed, the State of New Jersey dumped me in this institution. Within days I was raped, beaten by both patients and staff, witnessed kids being taken out of there by ambulance as a result of both. I was only 10 YEARS OLD!!! Housed with violent children ages 12 to as old as 16. With little to no supervision. It's very hard for me to talk about this not only because of who I am, but what I have NEVER spoken about since as one can imagine is pretty difficult to do. Though wrongfully institutionalized, I pressed on to live a good life but forever scarred in more ways than one. My name is Staff Sergeant Brian K Dean, Military Police, United States Army Retired, Former aide to Senator Burns, United States Senate, Four war Veteran, Author and wounded warrior. Now I ask you, how does one accomplish all these goals, or get this far in life, if there was anything "wrong" with them??? I have a college degree, speak five languages, been in more countries than we have States, but yet the State of New Jersey subjected me to such a brutal life altering environment, at the AGE OF TEN!!! I Wish I could look into the faces of those bully scumbags who abused me there. Let's see how they match up against a four time war Veteran. I am LIVING PROOF that the staff there abused people. I watched a 10 year old kid get slammed on the ground, busting his mouth open, with 2 large men on him, the kid screaming, in fact begging them to get off him because he could not breathe. That child was me looking at my reflection in the glass door. Kelly Young, is a victim. A victim of Murder!!! Nelson Williams, your days as a free man are now numbered!!! You killed an innocent child!!! I am only LUCKY I walked away from that place!!! I hold the State of New Jersey Accountable for this. They allowed this Abuse to go on for DECADES!!! It took a young girl's life to end for someone to wake up and do the right thing. I am not angry, I am utterly disgusted!!! I was at Arthur Brisbane 1984-1985. I give and authorize full release of my story for the public. For those who have suffered, please forgive me for not doing this sooner. Perhaps if I did come forward at the time, Kelly Young would still be alive today. You may reach me with any questions or if needed as a witness to this horrible nightmare. I write this with the deepest empathy for the Young Family, Brian K Dean /
    Staff Sergeant/ U.S. Army (Ret.)
    Briandeanmp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and FYI, The reason I was slammed on the ground was because I was afraid of going into my dormitory room after ALREADY getting beat up by a violent patient and raped, yes I said raped, the night before. So for reporting this to a staff member, and being frightened to go back to my room, I got tackled like I was playing for the NY Giants, and had two very large men pressing down on me to the point I PASSED OUT... I was only 10, maybe 5ft tall? Maybe 110 lbs. What harm could I possibly do against two grown men. By the way, I read the age group was 11-16??? What was I doing there at age TEN??? Sorry State of New Jersey, Some secrets just don't go away. Henceforth the reason I retired in New York!!! Every time I even DRIVE through NJ, my heart bleeds and the memories surface. It's been 30 years. I am also PROOF that the psychological damage from this place NEVER goes away!!! Even on my death bed in Iraq, I thought about this. The scars never heal. The only thing you can do is find peace and forgiveness they say. I found my peace, because I worked my ass off to retire and find peace. But I will NEVER forgive. Not on this one.

      Delete
  7. Re: Cynthia Serrano, I am thinking "Class Action Lawsuit" And it be against the State of New Jersey!!! They allowed this to go on despite the vast number of complaints, physical injuries, and tragically even death. There should not be any statutes of limitations regarding this type of atrocity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After looking at Kelly Young's Death, as a retired Police Officer, soldier, former patient at ABCTC, I have a strong feeling her death goes beyond The "Basket Hold". Anyone can see "Cover up"! "We just fired Mr Williams" that's it! A young lady lost her LIFE! This man should be in Prison! Sorry but did I read this clearly, they INITIALLY told the family "She choked on something?" THAT RIGHT THERE ALONE proves they were covering it up. I can't believe they left it at that. Look I'm not an outsider looking in, I WAS THERE! It's going to be VERY difficult for victims involved to talk about. This just might be the very secret to Kelly's death. I wonder if Mr Williams had personal relationships with some of the females, or coerced/ forced himself on to them. And maybe Kelly was about to expose him, and he seen his window of opportunity to shut her up for good and took it. I mean look at the facts. Why didn't the nurse, OR ANYONE for that matter, administer basic CPR to her while she was obviously not breathing and turning blue? The powers that be, Mr Williams, seen to it that the young girl would never speak again. So, I'm thinking, if there are female patients, or victims, that either had been sexually assaulted or coerced sexually, I think you should come forward and say something. If for any other reason, to finally put your mind at ease, as I have the strong feeling this has something to do with Kelly's​ Death. She has no voice now. All she has is us. Mr Williams was a predator. And this was the perfect establishment for him to prey on his victims. Sorry ABCTC and Mr Williams, guess you didn't account for someone being wrongfully sent there, and growing up to be a Police Officer & soldier! I can NOT believe this place existed, with ABSOLUTELY NO SUPERVISION BY THE STATE, and gave these people the power to hire anyone off the street. "Time cards", "Overtime"? Seriously? This wasn't McDonald's, this was the lives of young children! Should have been salary level positions and hired by the state. And dumping kids together because it was economically sound to do, was the worst thing you could possibly do. "oh let's just mix the psychotic and violent kids in with the kids who just need help." "They don't matter!". That's inexcusable! If this place was a "Hospital" and was to help and treat "troubled youths", then WHY the Tragic stories of suffering? We need our voices to be heard. KELLY needs to be heard. And WE need to speak not only for her, but for ourselves. I vote we should be compensated for the damages the State of New Jersey exposed us to. After all, they were the ones that sent us there, as well as financed this institution, and over packed us like sardines, as well as "dumping" and mixing dangerous and psychotic teens in with us, simply because they had no other place to put them! I NEVER should have been placed there or exposed to this life as I get the feeling neither should many of you! I became a Police Officer, a soldier, Worked for the U.S. Senate, College Degree, Own my home, speak 5 languages, been to over 50 countries, made a difference in life and in many lives, and I continue to do so. That sound like someone who should have been sent to, or deserved this kind of physical and psychological punishment? Especially AT TEN YEARS OLD? They threw me in with violent and psychotic teens as old as 17 YEARS OLD! Let's ALL do something about this. And let's ensure this NEVER, EVER, happens again! Hey guys, you have me ok. And you have me to fight along side of you. For some, help and compensation will have come too late, as they have perished. I am only ONE voice, so we need to do this TOGETHER! My phone number is 215-360-1887. Feel free to call me ok. You are NOT Alone!
    Brian K Dean
    Staff Sergeant/ U.S. Army ret.
    Fmr. U.S. Senate
    Wounded Warrior
    Author

    ReplyDelete
  10. After looking at Kelly Young's Death, as a retired Police Officer, soldier, former patient at ABCTC, I have a strong feeling her death goes beyond The "Basket Hold". Anyone can see "Cover up"! "We just fired Mr Williams" that's it! A young lady lost her LIFE! This man should be in Prison! Sorry but did I read this clearly, they INITIALLY told the family "She choked on something?" THAT RIGHT THERE ALONE proves they were covering it up. I can't believe they left it at that. Look I'm not an outsider looking in, I WAS THERE! It's going to be VERY difficult for victims involved to talk about. This just might be the very secret to Kelly's death. I wonder if Mr Williams had personal relationships with some of the females, or coerced/ forced himself on to them. And maybe Kelly was about to expose him, and he seen his window of opportunity to shut her up for good and took it. I mean look at the facts. Why didn't the nurse, OR ANYONE for that matter, administer basic CPR to her while she was obviously not breathing and turning blue? The powers that be, Mr Williams, seen to it that the young girl would never speak again. So, I'm thinking, if there are female patients, or victims, that either had been sexually assaulted or coerced sexually, I think you should come forward and say something. If for any other reason, to finally put your mind at ease, as I have the strong feeling this has something to do with Kelly's​ Death. She has no voice now. All she has is us. Mr Williams was a predator. And this was the perfect establishment for him to prey on his victims. Sorry ABCTC and Mr Williams, guess you didn't account for someone being wrongfully sent there, and growing up to be a Police Officer & soldier! I can NOT believe this place existed, with ABSOLUTELY NO SUPERVISION BY THE STATE, and gave these people the power to hire anyone off the street. "Time cards", "Overtime"? Seriously? This wasn't McDonald's, this was the lives of young children! Should have been salary level positions and hired by the state. And dumping kids together because it was economically sound to do, was the worst thing you could possibly do. "oh let's just mix the psychotic and violent kids in with the kids who just need help." "They don't matter!". That's inexcusable! If this place was a "Hospital" and was to help and treat "troubled youths", then WHY the Tragic stories of suffering? We need our voices to be heard. KELLY needs to be heard. And WE need to speak not only for her, but for ourselves. I vote we should be compensated for the damages the State of New Jersey exposed us to. After all, they were the ones that sent us there, as well as financed this institution, and over packed us like sardines, as well as "dumping" and mixing dangerous and psychotic teens in with us, simply because they had no other place to put them! I NEVER should have been placed there or exposed to this life as I get the feeling neither should many of you! I became a Police Officer, a soldier, Worked for the U.S. Senate, College Degree, Own my home, speak 5 languages, been to over 50 countries, made a difference in life and in many lives, and I continue to do so. That sound like someone who should have been sent to, or deserved this kind of physical and psychological punishment? Especially AT TEN YEARS OLD? They threw me in with violent and psychotic teens as old as 17 YEARS OLD! Let's ALL do something about this. And let's ensure this NEVER, EVER, happens again! Hey guys, you have me ok. And you have me to fight along side of you. For some, help and compensation will have come too late, as they have perished. I am only ONE voice, so we need to do this TOGETHER! My phone number is 215-360-1887. Feel free to call me ok. You are NOT Alone!
    Brian K Dean
    Staff Sergeant/ U.S. Army ret.
    Fmr. U.S. Senate
    Wounded Warrior
    Author

    ReplyDelete
  11. What was your experience with the teachers and staff running the school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely frightening at the time and absolutely deplorable looking back. I was only TEN years old, and due to "Overcrowding" they had put me in Cottage A, which after reading all of this, I realized that I shouldn't even have been placed in Cottage A, let alone the institution!!! The kids were violent and the staff members were literally instigating fights. In my opinion it almost seemed like they were doing it to see which kid would win. Or even worse, give them, the staff, an excuse to have a physical altercation with us!!! How do you put a tiny 10 year old boy in a room with violent and psychotic teens who were around 5'8 to as tall as 6'2 200+lbs or the size of a full grown man?? And the idea or Excuse of "Adjacent or surrounding institutions for violent and psychotic teens shut down so due to housing logistics we will just dump them in with children who just needed help, is not only reprehensibly wrong but is just irresponsible!!! What did they think 2as going to happen? Us all holding hands singing "We are the world" ??? I GOT MY ASS BEAT!!!! I was there initially because the state took me away due to ass beatings at home!! I wasn't violent nor psychotic!!! And they kept giving me medication every morning and every night that drugged me up. Never before nor after did I take ANY meds, let alone for what seemed like to control us??? If you wish to interview me I am more than honored to accommodate your request. Tell me something, how is it that I can't remember to many things "detailed" per say, but can remember EVERY SINGLE DETAIL of that time there, as if it happened yesterday??? And it's been 32-33 years now??? There was a teacher there, yes, Mrs Fedder? Forgive my spelling if I got it wrong. She was actually pretty nice. Yelled a lot at the violent kids but that's about it. How is it that I went on to grade school, then high school, getting nothing other than Staight A's or B's in my grades, played sports, got along with and made hundreds of friends, went in the military, became a police officer, Worked in the Senate, State Department, became an author, if I was SUPPOSED TO BE IN THAT PLACE??? My parents abused me. That wasn't my fault. That place did nothing for me except give me nightmares 32 years later, taught me how to get beaten and raped without being able to do a DAMN THING ABOUT IT, And taught me to never trust again. IN ANYONE!!! WANNA HEAR SOMETHING PRETTY IRONIC?? The same officials who tossed me into that place also pinned the highest medal in the state on my chest a couple decade's later. The New Jersey DISTINGUISHED SERVICE MEDAL ALONG WITH THE JOINT LEGISLATIVE COMMENDATION MEDAL!!! UNLESS THE STATE COMPENSATES ALL THE VICTIMS OF THIS ATROCIOUS NIGHTMARE, THEY CAN HAVE THESE MEDALS BACK , BECAUSE I DON'T WANT THEM!!!
      ~ Brian K Dean
      Staff Sergeant
      United States Army (Ret.)
      Fmr. United States Senate
      Author

      Delete
    2. I remember being paid $0.07 putting together sets of 20 Jagermeister cards as part of the class. Obviously exposing us to other things instead of learning the important things. We were slaves. If we didn't do what we were told we were restrained either by the basket hold or bye four five six point restraints and injected with medicine. School was year round and mandatory. They had this system of Junior one, Junior to, intermediate 3, 2, 1 and Senior two, one. Each rank up allowed you different privileges and allowed other kids to hold rank over the Lesser kids and allowing those seen your kids to determine punishment such as being locked in a room, or be forced to sit in a locker 4 hours on end. If you refused you would be restrained and once again injected to calm down.

      Delete
  12. I was at abctc in 1998 to 1999 it was horrible luckily I was heavily medicated with thorozine. I Remember being in the boys cottage and later on being transferred to a co-ed dorm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact me ok. 215-360-1887. We need to talk. Getting a group together and going to ummmm make things right for the poor VICTIMS that suffered there. I can't discuss this much on here but let's just say the STATE is responsible. Need everyone we can get okay. Are you in? Text me ASAP. You'll be glad you did!!! We are going to be okay!!!

      Delete
    2. I tried calling this number but it goes to this strange this thing with no voicemail please contact I have plenty to tell

      Delete
  13. Everyone is starting to come forward okay. So if you haven't yet come forward, now is the time to do so. I'm finding out some VERY disturbing information that EVERYONE so far has matched up 100%!!! So if you were a victim, please step forward now. Strength in numbers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. First and foremost, I feel sorry for the victims and my heart truly goes out to them in continued recovery and justice. But I do not feel sorry for anyone who has vandalized this site in the past three years alone and does not speak the truth about the site. It's a shame that this facility ever became a Child Treatment Center - PERIOD. That is NOT what it was originally donated for. Now it has such a negative connotation associated with it, something the Brisbane family is also likely a victim of. Moreover, the site has been utterly vandalized and destroyed in the past three years as a result of those "curious" to see "what's left." The house was gorgeous at one time. Look at it now in these pictures, compared to the black and white photo on top. If your grandfather donated 1,200 acres to the State for FREE, including your ancestral home so it could become part of something good, how would you feel? The State of New Jersey should be ashamed of itself on multiple levels. If it wasn't for Arthur Brisbane we would not have Allaire State Park or The Historic Village at Allaire. He was a philanthropist and editor who greatly impacted American history during his life time. He wrote about and championed for a "better society" in early 20th century America. He and his wife, Phoebe, have to be turning over in their graves over the nightmare that has become of their GIFT. The land that the Brisbane's donated at Allaire - in totality - is priceless. Lastly, please credit the source of the original black and white photograph accordingly. Its too bad that Arthur Brisbane wasn't able to donate his land-holdings at Allaire to the NATIONAL PARK SERVICE as he was trying to do through his friend Franklin D. Roosevelt. For those affected, I pray for your well-being and that you find peace and justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies, the "Source" is credited via the link. I missed that. My bad. Sorry!!!

      Delete
  15. Do you recall names of any of the school personnel who used these techniques? There are teachers and other school personnel from brisbane still working in the state system

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sir/Ma'am, you have identified yourself as child advocate. Can you please call me so we can begin a resolution to help everyone move forward and get the closure we all need? Thank you. 215-360-1887. Many, like myself didn't belong there, were wrongfully sent there, myself I was abused at home and was placed there for an evaluation. A 28 day evaluation, and possible treatment if needed to move on. Not be kept there against my will for 9 months, beaten and raped by both staff and patients, housed with violent and psychotic teens simply because they closed surrounding facilities and overcrowded the child TREATMENT center. I was ONLY TEN YEARS OLD, AND HOUSED IN COTTAGE A!!! I WAS THE ONLY TEN YEAR OLD CHILD IN THAT DORM. NEEDLESS TO SAY, THE FACT I WAS THE ONLY CAUCASIAN IN MY ROOM DIDN'T HELP MATTERS EITHER. 9 MONTHS, PURE HELL, AS MANY OTHERS SUFFERED THE SAME FATE. DRUGGING ME UP EVERY NIGHT WAS ALSO DEPLORABLE. I WAS NO HARM TO ANYYYYYONE OR MYSELF but drugged up daily??? Tell me something, with a 147 IQ, speaking 5 languages, Serving my country for two decades, 4 wars, A police officer, and ALSO worked in the U.S. Senate, A published Author, been to over 50 countries, own my home, have three kids, does THAT sound like a child who should have been sent there? And by age 12, when I finally made it to a normal environment, I was on the football team, wrestling team, was in college by age 16 and military by age 17. Not a SINGLE problem or got into any trouble or issues with anyone. I am alumni of one of the most prestigious Fraternity in the country "Skull and Bones", Does that soon like someone who should have been sent there? I am just ONE example of this negligence and I am going to stand up for everyone!! I'm hoping you will too. Thank you. Please call me

      Delete
    2. Oh, and yes I know us Frat guy's are known to act crazy and throw some kick ass parties, but I assure you I wasn't certifiably crazy. Lol

      Delete
  16. Being forced to be medicated with heavy anti phycotics like mylirill,haldol,thorazine etc..along with the constant bullying,intimidating , fear environment, blocks of time are simply erased from memory, but I remember Williams, Atkins, I remember a mr.holland or hollis..he always wore different Adidas and a kango..pretty big guy..but I remember him in the cottages around 86,87 time frame. Horrible, nightmare place. We were throw away kids and the state allowed its sanctioned torture with a blind eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you sufferred. You were a child in need. Should have never happened. I do not know the names you mentioned.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  17. I do not think any child that was there came out unscathed during that time. I really wish more would come forward. These stories need to be told. The atrocities are countless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was also a victim of Brisbane concentration camp my have been nothing but chaos and mental anguish since the ambulance dropped me off in the middle of the night march 17Th 1986 I was 8 years old. My name is Rasheedah McQUeen and I served 2 terms in that hell hole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rasheedah my number is 215-360-1887. Everyone else has had no trouble contacting me, perhaps you misdialed. Try again ok. You are VERY brave for coming forward, and know in your heart you are NOT Alone. The time has come for the State to compensate for it's neglect. And impose justice on those who were responsible for our well being, but instead chose to abuse us and cause harm. Whatever freedom they have left, we will take that from them ok Rasheedah. Under no circumstances do you impose violence or make statements like that. They already THINK they won. Don't give the bastards anymore satisfaction. You're BETTER than they are. So, as a friend, I ask you to edit or remove that comment where you threatened what you did ok. We will get them in another way. And where they will be going, trust me, nothing good will happen to them once the other inmates find out what they did to us. Ok Rasheedah??? Call me.

      Delete
  19. We as a group I emplore you to NEVER resort to violence upon running into any of these people. Their problems will end and your's will just begin!!! Instead, I propose we present this to the State District Attorney, to immediately suspend and remove these Active members who were part of this Atrocious acts, and upon a thorough investigation they be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, and for those who have retired, WHO THOUGHT THEY GOT AWAY WITH IT, Prosecute as well!!! In addition I propose a proper settlement for punitive damages to be awarded to the victims, as a PROPER AND APPROPRIATE Gesture to show the State is willing to compensate for it's neglect and mistakes, and provide free counseling and mental health care to those in need who were affected by this. And if the State doesn't feel the need, or have the humane decency to do this AT A MINIMUM, Then I propose a swift and adequate lawsuit, on a class action level, be immediately initiated and criminal prosecution for the life they took, that of Kelly Young, and for the assault, abuse, rape, neglect and many other atrocities the feel they "got away with"!!! Strength in numbers, Remember that everyone. I was a soldier, a police officer and served my country on so many levels. Well now I have one more mission.... And that's "Operation Make it Right!!!" A poor girl was MURDERED there, and SEVERAL others hospitalized and several more Traumatized for life!!! State of New Jersey, you pinned the highest medal in the State on my chest. If you can't make this right, I will return the medal and citations, Because they will mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING if you don't wish to make this right. NONE of us deserved this and we are NOT Garbage!!! Many of us have college degrees, families, served our country honorably, and yet despite the mental anguish we ALL deal with daily, we still made something of ourselves. We need to be compensated for this and JUSTICE NEEDS TO BE SERVED!!! WHO IS IN????

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well written and expressed Brian I am the parent of Rasheedah McQueen thank you for stepping up also thank you for serving!

    ReplyDelete