Monday, June 26, 2023

Roseville Avenue School

Source
             

One of Newark's oldest existing public school buildings stands in the Roseville neighborhood, as it has since 1883. 




The three story red brick building served the neighborhood as a kindergarten through fourth grade facility. The building was nearly 15,000 square feet of classroom and hallway space. 



The building didn't see much physical investment over the years. There was never a proper auditorium or gymnasium for the students. 


Not only were there no building additions over the years, the space within the existing walls never saw much improvement either. I was stunned to find what I believe to be the original wooden paneling and window moldings throughout the building.



The last class was held at the Roseville Avenue School in 2015. It sat vacant for a number of years, practically invisible to most who drove past it on a daily basis. It wasn't until 2022 that work began to convert the building into housing. 


Im glad I was able to tour the building before any major work had occurred. I knew there probably wasn't going to be an auditorium which is usually my favorite part of any historic school. I was pleasantly surprised to find the building filled with some really neat hand painted muralwork throughout the first floor. 




I wish I could have spent longer taking pictures, but I was dodging workers who were actively in the early stages of stripping the building out. I had to hide around corners and move from room to room like in the old Scooby-Doo chase scenes. 



The building is set to reopen as housing. I haven't been inside to see how much of the original interior was retained, but the views I catch through the windows tell me it's not much. At least the building itself will go on to serve the city once again, as it has for so long.




No comments:

Post a Comment