Sunday, January 31, 2021

Pohatcong School



This small school, also known as the Shimer School, was built in Pohatcong Township in 1939. H. P. Everett and associates designed the school, which was built with funding from the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. 


The program was part of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's "New Deal", which sought to help rebuild the nation after the Great Depression. Franklin Goldsmith and Sons were the general contractors tasked with construction of the building.


In 1999 the building was closed, and sold by the board of education to the township. The town continued to use the building but it was vacant by 2005. The utilities remained on and the structure remained in remarkable shape. Fifteen years later the school was put up for auction by the town.


The school may not be the most impressive educational facility in the state, but it would still be nice to see it used again for something instead of demolished like so many other schools before it. Hopefully the new owners find a good new life for the old structure.


8 comments:

  1. Man, wish I could visit a bunch of cool places like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother, Thelma McNulty, taught elementary school-aged kids in this school for many many years. She LOVED this place. As a child I would come in with her in late summer to help her prepare for the upcoming school year. I would help make mimeograph worksheets on a machine with a big drum and crank out copies for her kids. So sad to see it go away like this. I am sure many area children feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember Mrs. McNulty. I believe she taught third grade and she was a big fan of Bruce Springsteen. Thanks for the memories

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your note. Yes, she did love Bruce Springsteen. I took her to see him play at Shea Stadium in the 90s. Do you know what the current status is of this property? We were interested in putting a memorial park bench here in my mother's honor since she spent so many years (more than 40) working here.

      Delete
  4. Mrs McNulty was my 3rd grade teacher at the Warren Glen School in Pohatcong, 2 years befire she was transferred to Shimer School. I remember she allowed us to bring in candy, if we had enough for every one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Yes, you are correct. My mom taught 3rd grade most of her 42 years at Pohatcong. She passes away in April of 2020. She was 93 years old. She loved teaching and lead a long, productive life.

      Delete
  5. I also remember Mrs. McNulty. She was a great teacher and a great lady. When I think of the problems that plague schools today, that seems like another era. We were so lucky. I was in third grade in the 1976-77 school year. She was at Shimer School then. My house was four blocks away, and we walked each morning to school. Miss Fiamma and Mrs. Lehr also taught third grade.

    ReplyDelete