Friday, April 17, 2015

Empty Cloud Monastery

Sitting in the middle of a neighborhood, two blighted monastery buildings sat behind a large stone wall. The main building of the small complex found new use, while two residential buildings and the gatehouse crumbled with time.


I don't know when these beautiful buildings were built, but they are likely over a century old. When the monastery moved to the property they kept the house mostly original, with the addition of some Dalle De Varre windows and cross-lite doors. 


Every bedroom in the home had its own fireplace. 


Despite some peeling paint, the buildings remained in very good shape. 


I would drive by the buildings often, each time making sure to close any doors or windows I found open. I wanted to make sure the property didn't fall into serious disrepair. 


Thankfully someone purchased the property and began renovating the buildings. Before long they were occupied again.




The converted garage on the property had been heavily modified, unlike the home out front. 





But the second floor was much nicer looking. A furnished kitchen greeted me as I ascended the stairs, and the spacious dormitories mostly all had fireplaces as well.


It makes me so happy to drive by the structures now, as I was convinced they would inevitably be demolished. Finally a happy ending for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment